Woven into the mission of Louisville Collegiate School, four Character Cornerstones are articulated into the curriculum and programming of the Upper School experience.
RESPECT ♦ HONOR
COMPASSION ♦ RESPONSIBILITY
A crucial component of the Collegiate experience is the character cultivated in each student. Exceptional teachers, advisors and counselors provide caring guidance towards each student's personal, social and academic progress. Together with our engaging academics, each student is afforded opportunities to develop self-confidence, acceptance of others, and independence.
- Upper School students are taught to show respect for themselves, others and the community. Bullying and harassment are never tolerated.
- The Upper School Counselor facilitates 9th-12th grade Character classes which support the school's mission of academic excellence, personal development and confident leadership. Some of the topics addressed include study success, leadership skills, stress management, goal setting, media literacy, financial planning and addiction awareness.
- Collegiate students are encouraged to meet high character standards so that each member of the community will be enriched and able to meet his or her personal potential. In addition, the Upper School counselor organizes parent evenings on relevant topics and special programs for students.
- The Honor Code is a defining feature of the Upper School. It functions best as a teaching tool to raise awareness of honor issues and create a trusting environment.
- The Honor Board, consisting of elected members, hears Honor Code violations and also leads the school in honor awareness events such as Honor Code Appreciation Day.
- Students enjoy multiple privileges, including membership in the Student Government, when they sign and abide by the Honor Code.
- Students are also expected to be reliable members of the community, faithful in meeting commitments and consistent in making healthy decisions.
- Collegiate aspires to graduate students prepared to be global citizens. Upper school students volunteer throughout the year individually and collectively by advisory groups and grade levels.
- Our annual Day of Caring witnesses our faculty and students joining together to serve a multitude of Louisville community agencies.
- During Interim week the sophomores design and implement a local service project.
- On average, Collegiate upper school students collectively contribute over 10,000 hours of service to the Louisville community each year!